Cellebrite Certified Mobile Examiner Certification FAQ
The CCME certification program is not a class, it is a capstone certification program for Cellebrite’s core mobile forensic track. This certification program is designed to measure the knowledge, skills, and abilities of certification candidates based on the completion of time-limited practical exercises and a proctored knowledge-based examination. Earning the CCME certifies that mobile device examiners have attained a level of mastery in the discipline of mobile device forensic investigation methodology as well as a high degree of proficiency with Cellebrite’s Physical Analyzer software. Earning the CCME requires a high level of working and practical knowledge regarding Cellebrite’s UFED technology.
The certification program tests basic knowledge, tool knowledge, and practical experience using two popular mobile device operating systems including Android and iOS. The CCME Process is governed by the Cellebrite Certification Policy which can be viewed in its entirety here.
What is the CCME Certification Process?
The CCME certification program is a capstone certification program for Cellebrite’s core mobile forensic track. This certification program is designed to measure the knowledge, skills, and abilities of certification candidates based on the completion of time-limited practical exercises and a proctored knowledge-based examination. Earning the CCME certifies that mobile device examiners have attained a level of mastery in the discipline of mobile device forensic investigation methodology as well as a high degree of proficiency with Cellebrite’s Physical Analyzer software. Earning the CCME requires a high level of working and practical knowledge regarding Cellebrite’s UFED technology. The certification program tests basic knowledge, tool knowledge, and practical experience using two popular mobile device operating systems including Android and iOS.
Is there a class associated with the CCME?
There are prerequisites for the CCME described on this page as well as a description of how to prepare for the CCME. In addition, there is an on-demand 3-hour preparation workshop included in the CCME process. You will gain access to the CCME Preparation Workshop after full registration and your fee is paid.
How much does the CCME cost?
This fee allows qualified candidates to enter the CCME process and have the ability to complete the following:
1) Download material associated with the practical skills assessment; and,
2) Attempt to pass the time-limited practical skills assessment to qualify for the CCME Certification Examination.
If the practical skills assessment is passed, candidates qualify to take the time-limited and proctored CCME Certification Examination. The initial CCME process fee covers administrative costs and a single payment to a third-party proctoring service. Although CCME candidates are allowed a total of two attempts at the CCME Certification Examination, fees associated to the proctoring service for the second attempt is the candidate’s responsibility and payable directly to a third-party service provider.
What are the prerequisites?
At the time of initial application, the applicant must possess the following valid certificates:
- Cellebrite Mobile Forensic Fundamentals (CMFF) – Certificate of Completion
- Cellebrite Certified Operator (CCO) – Current, non-expired certification
- Cellebrite Certified Physical Analyst (CCPA) – Current, non-expired certification
Once I am eligible and enroll, how long do I have to complete the CCME?
The CCME process must be completed within 45 days of the candidate’s enrollment date. Failed attempts will require the applicant to restart the certification process again by paying all applicable fees and reapplying.
A candidate’s work or personal schedule is not an acceptable excuse for missing this deadline, therefore there is no waiver available for this time limit. Failure to complete the CCME within the 45-day period shall be considered a failed attempt.
Is each part of the process timed independently?
Candidates have 7 days (168 hours) from the time they click the “start quiz” button on the practical skills assessment activity to complete both the Android and iOS practical. Download links shall be provided prior to the start of the 7-day time limit of the practical skills assessment. Candidates are advised to download and decode the extractions prior to starting the practical skills assessment using the latest release of Physical Analyzer software. Candidates may log in and out of the learning platform as needed to save their answers and continue from where they left off each time they log in. At the end of the time limit, all answered questions will be graded. Unanswered questions shall be graded as incorrect.
Candidates have a single, uninterrupted 3-hour session to complete their scheduled and proctored online CCME Certification Examination. Candidates will receive instructions and are solely responsible to schedule their proctored examination session with a third-party proctoring service. At the end of the time limit, all answered questions will be graded. Unanswered questions shall be graded as incorrect.
A candidate’s work or personal schedule is not an acceptable excuse for missing deadlines. Therefore there is no waiver available for this time limit.
Are there certain technical requirements for the proctored examination?
Cellebrite uses ProctorU, a flexible and convenient solution to proctor the CCME Certification Examination securely and with support 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Candidates who are eligible to take their CCME Certification Examination may schedule their session directly with ProctorU by following instructions provided to them within the CCME process.
CCME candidates must review and are solely responsible for ensuring they meet the technical specifications at this page before scheduling their CCME Certification Examination.
- On the day of the proctored examination, candidates must:
- Understand that the entire session with ProctorU will be recorded and may be available to the Cellebrite Certification Body for review.
- Have two (2) forms of picture identification to pass the authentication quiz administered by ProctorU, before starting the exam.
- Use a system which meets all technical specifications on this page.
Can I ask for help from Cellebrite to complete the CCME?
The CCME is for experienced examiners who must complete tasks and answer questions which will challenge their knowledge, skills, and abilities. Unfortunately, Cellebrite does not answer questions related to the CCME standalone certification tasks. This does not preclude a candidate to challenge questions on the examination.
What software, hardware, and resources will I need to complete the CCME process?
CCME candidates must have:
- Access to licensed either a UFED Touch/Touch2 or UFED4PC.
- A computer capable of running UFED Physical Analyzer software.
- A dongle or software license to use UFED Physical Analyzer software.
- An internet connection to complete the practical skills assessment online.
- An active internet connection during the proctored CCME Certification Examination which meets all technical specifications listed at our third-party proctoring service at this page.
How should I prepare for the CCME?
The practical skills assessment is designed to allow the candidate to demonstrate their ability to analyze a known data set through the application of best forensic practices, forensic concepts, and methodologies in the analysis of the data. Candidates who have attended advanced smartphone analysis courses, along with investigative experience, should have sufficient skills to pass the practical skills assessment.
The two practical skills assessments will require examiners to know:
- When to and how to use the Open Advanced dialogue.
- Database analysis techniques (SQLite, etc.).
- How to analyze unsupported (not decoded) iOS and Android applications and related data artifacts.
- How to analyze data artifacts associated with uninstalled applications.
- How to view and decode hexadecimal values.
- How to analyze plist files.
- How to identify exact hexadecimal and decimal offsets for specific data.
- How to identify user account IDs associated with social media accounts.
The CCME Certification Examination consists of 75 knowledge questions that are randomly selected from a bank of questions based on prerequisite course content (CMFF, CCO, and CCPA). There may also be questions related to database analysis. Candidates may use their notes and course material during the CCME Certification Examination.
What happens if I do not pass the CCME?
Candidates receive an attempt at the practical skills assessment. If a candidate does not pass the practical skills assessment, they may not proceed to the proctored CCME Certification Examination and must meet all qualifications prior to reapplying for the CCME Process. Reapplication includes an additional full payment of the CCME process fee.
If a candidate does not pass their first attempt at the CCME Certification Examination, they may opt to take a second (and final) attempt by following the policies and timelines listed below. A candidate’s work or personal schedule is not an acceptable excuse for missing the stated time limits.
- Candidates who fail to pass their first attempt at the CCME Certification Examination will receive specific links and instructions to schedule and pay for their second (and final) attempt with a third-party proctoring service.
- Candidates are solely responsible to schedule and pay fees associated with the proctoring of the second (and final) attempt.
- The second (and final) attempt shall take place only after a 30-day waiting period after the initial CCME Certification Examination failure. There is no waiver available for this waiting period.
- The second (and final) attempt shall take place no more than 30-days after the initial 30-day waiting period. There is no waiver available for this waiting period.
- If a candidate does not pass their second (and final) attempt at the CCME Certification Examination, the attempt at achieving CCME certification terminates. To attempt the CCME again, the candidate must meet all qualifications prior to reapplying and repeating the entire CCME Process. Reapplication includes an additional payment of the CCME process fee.
What is the passing score?
A passing score of 80% or above must be achieved on both the Practical Skills Assessment and CCME Certification Examination to obtain the CCME certification.
Grading for the Practical Skills Assessment: Each of the device examinations shall be graded separately and averaged during the practical skills assessment. Candidates must achieve an average of 80% or higher between both practical skills assessment to advance to the knowledge examination.
Grading for the CCME Certification Examination: Candidates must achieve a score of 80% or higher to pass the CCME Certification Examination.
Can I challenge questions or results?
Upon request, candidates who do not attain a score of 80% or higher on any part of the CCME process may have the practical exercise(s) and/or written examination reviewed by a Certification Assessor who will verify the scoring. The verified final score will be submitted to the CCME Director of Certification for review and documentation. Active CCME candidate will be supplied specific instructions on how to challenge and request a review.
When a candidate passes the practical skills assessment, they have qualified to take the proctored CCME Certification Examination. Upon passing the CCME Certification Examination, the candidate earns the CCME certification credential and may download it from the learning management system.
How do I renew the CCME?
The CCME certification or recertification must be renewed by its expiration date to remain valid. It is the CCME Certificant’s responsibility to complete recertification requirements as instructed on the learning management system.
There is no recertification examination or course available for the CCME recertification. To successfully renew the CCME Certification, each certificant must pay a nominal recertification fee, reaffirm their intention to uphold the Cellebrite Training Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, and submit proof of continuing professional development and work experience as follows:
- Continuing Professional Development: Cellebrite requires documentation verifying attendance at a minimum of 21 hours of continuing professional development related to mobile device or digital forensics from industry recognized organizations. Acceptable training hours include those offered by IACIS, US Secret Service NCFI, other industry-leading digital forensic training vendors or an accredited college providing an official curriculum of training in digital forensics. Full details on acceptable continuing professional development hours are available in the Cellebrite Certification Policy.
- Work Experience: At the time of recertification application submission, certificants must have examined or supervised the examination of a minimum of three (3) mobile devices during the previous certification period. Full details on acceptable work experience hours are available in the Cellebrite Certification Policy.
- Recertification options are available in the system during the 12 months preceding your expiration date.
- Renewal of certifications which become expired may only be renewed for 12 months after expiration. However, prior to remediation of expired CCME, candidates must have current CCO and CCPA certifications which will require completion of the current CCO+CCPA recertification course separately.
- CCME certificates not renewed within 12 months of expiration, will become invalid and the entire process must be started again if a candidate wishes to earn it again.
- To see your recertification path, you must log in to your account first, then click HERE to see your recertification path.
How much is the CCME recertification fee and is there a fee waiver?
This fee allows qualified candidates to recertify their CCME. Current Cellebrite Certified Instructors and those who have attended CASA, CERT-F, CAJE, CASE, CAIE or CEFA during the preceding certification period, will have the recertification fee waived by the Director of Certification.
What happens if I fail to renew my CCME?
Certificants failing to recertify by their expiration date will be classified as expired.
To renew an expired certification, the holder of that certification must apply for and successfully complete the CCME recertification process within twelve (12) months of the certification expiration. Certificants will be responsible to pay any applicable administrative fees.
Certificants who fail to renew expired certifications within the 12-month grace period must qualify for, apply for and complete the CCME program in its entirety.